About Marathon Des Sables

The Marathon Des Sables (MdS) is known as the toughest footrace on Earth. The distance covered is 243km's in the Sahara desert, run in 49 degrees Celsius heat while every athlete carries his or her own equipment, food etc. weighing in at around 9-13kg's.

This blog is aimed at telling my story. I will record my preparation for the MdS 2013 in detail in the hope that it will help my fellow runners.

Friday 9 March 2012

Running Shoes






Having logged around 600km’s since early January 2012 in my Nike Structure 14’s, I decided it’s time to get a new pair of running shoes. In the spirit of experimentation I set out on Saturday morning with some expectation to the local sport megastore close to my home.

Two things to note, though: (1) My Structure 14’s are by no means run-out, but the off road running on my long run is becoming more and more uncomfortable, indicating to me that it might be best, in the interest of avoiding injuries to get a new pair of running shoes. (2) I will continue to use my Structure 14’s on my daily 10km runs, as this is predominantly on a tar surface, for at least the next 6-weeks, before retiring them to casual ware around the house. This is of course subject to me being able to convince my wife that the shoes are suited for casual wear. I recall her statement that the colour of my Structure 14’s was not suited for public wear. In fairness my Structure 14’s are a very intense shade of blue, so my wife may have a point.

But I digress, so let me return to the acquisition of shoes. The selection available at Sportsman Warehouse was impressive. A running circuit in that shop provides a suitable environment for testing before buying, and the staff members have a decent knowledge of the products on offer.

I decided to review a number of shoes that had found their place on my shortlist. My criteria for a running shoe are obviously directed at finding a shoe that I can continue to use throughout my training, and at the Marathon des Sables event. It has to be a strong shoe, capable of handling the environment, sand, excessive heat, freezing temperatures at night, stones, have good traction for the areas where we cross uneven terrain, be light, but most of all fit well enough to prevent blistering, while being able to absorb the continuous pounding of high mileage.

Weeks of reading reviews produced a shortlist of the following shoes, which would suite my specific running style and foot preference. I generally go for a neutral shoe with good absorption or rather cushioning properties, to use the correct running term.


Short List
The following shoes were on my shortlist. I spent a great deal of time assessing each shoe against my own personal criteria. This included elements of weight, how well the shoe is constructed, and its ability to breathe while still able to keep sand and stones out, and its ability to cushion running impact, which is a real priority for me. These elements formed the basis of my own criteria, and many of my readers will have very different thoughts and ideas on what is appropriate for them.

However, I do believe that the reviews and links provided has some merit and will provide some food for thought.

Make
New Balance
Nike Air
Inov8
Type
Trail Shoe
Trail Shoe
Trail Shoe
Overall Rating
Good
(3.2)
Excellent
(4.6)
Very Good
(4)
Model
00 V2
Alvord 9
Roclite 285
Specification
Good luck finding it!

Construction
Average (3+)
Average (3+)
Average (3+)
   Heat Resistant
Average (3)
Average (3)
Average (3)
   Cold Resistant
Average (3)
Average (3)
Average (3)
   Bonding
Very Good (4)
Very Good (4)
Very Good (4)
   Sand
Average (3)
Average (3)
Average (3)
Traction
Good (3)
Very Good (4)
Very Good (4)
Weight
Good (3)
359g
Excellent (5)
283g
Excellent (5)
285g
Comfort
Very Good (4)
Excellent (5)
Excellent (5)
Fit
Very Good (4)
Excellent (5)
Excellent (5)
Absorption
Good (2)
Excellent (5)
Good (2)
Price
R1100
Excellent (5) value for money at R700
R1200

My eventual choice was the Nike Alvord 9 trail running shoe.


Alvord 9 Running Experience

I took my new Nike Air Alvord 9’s for their first 10km run on Monday. The experience was pleasant with the shoe providing much needed cushioning even with the added 7,5kg’s of my race pack. At an average speed of 9,5km’s/h with around 25% off-road the shoe was comfortable, absorbing running impact efficiently. On the off-road sections the shoe had adequate traction with excellent breathability even at 31 degrees Celsius. In general one of the best shoes I have had the pleasure running in, in recent months.

The shoe might not be suited to a desert race such as the Marathon des Sables. I am not convinced that it will in its present design keep sand out. It might be that gaiters glued to the side of the soles might solve this problem. I will most definitely test this in the future and provide some feedback. The truth is that I was so impressed with this shoe that I returned on Tuesday to buy four pairs for me, and a pair for my wife. My five pairs should give me around 3,000km’s of use at around 600km’s each. I know that this is around 60% of what I can expect to get out of my shoes; however, my previous heel injury has made me a little paranoid so I try to change shoes before the cushioning starts to diminish. So with my reserves stacked in my cupboard I should be good until the middle of August this year.


Future Shoes to Test
There are, however, dedicated desert running shoes that I will consider testing in months to come. These shoes have been tried and tested within a desert environment, and one specifically within the Marathon des Sables.

Lookout for my review on the following shoes in the future:

UK Gear PT-03 Sandproof Desert/Hot Environment Running Shoes
This shoe has apparently been designed for an extreme heat environment, is durable with excellent cushioning. It is claimed to be sandproof when used with Gaitors. It is the approved US Army Running shoe and has been tested in Afghanistan and Iraq. The manufacturer claims that this shoe is in use in the following armed forces: Germany since 2004, British since 2004, US Air Force Academy since 2007, US Military Academy West Point since 2008, Polish Special Forces since 2008, and the Gurkhas since 2006. And to top it all this shoes apparently weigh only 385 grams. It also has spousal approval, with my wife thinking that it will look cool with some jeans. I do insist, however, that I will not be running the MdS with jeans.


New Balance 1100
The New Balance 1100 or M1100MDS is the official shoe of the Marathon des Sables. It weighs in at 388 grams, incorporates a microscopic velcro-closure gaiter to keep the sand out and has been tried and tested in the most extreme of environments. My impression is that this might be the ultimate MdS shoe. My wife, however, gave it a run only status. On her rating scale this shoe is not cool and she can’s stress it hard enough that I will not be wearing these with my jeans before, during or afterwards. In short, it might be a brilliant shoe for the MdS, but it has my wife’s fullest disapproval for casual wear.




Teva Desert Shield
The Teva’s Desert Shield was custom made for Teva’s sponsored athletes. Beyond this I know very little about the shoe, but will definitely do some homework to get on top of a shoe that might have a much wider application than just the MdS desert race.



My final shoes to examine are the shoes on offer by Salomon, which are also claimed to have been made with the MdS in mind.

Thanks for visiting my blog, see you soon.

Genis


_____________________________
Reviews




No comments:

Post a Comment