About Marathon Des Sables

The Marathon Des Sables (MdS) is known as the toughest footrace on Earth. The distance covered is 243km's in the Sahara desert, run in 49 degrees Celsius heat while every athlete carries his or her own equipment, food etc. weighing in at around 9-13kg's.

This blog is aimed at telling my story. I will record my preparation for the MdS 2013 in detail in the hope that it will help my fellow runners.

Tuesday 21 February 2012

A Good Start with a Bad Ending




My training week started great, Monday I run 5:54 per km on my regular 10km run, Tuesday and Thursday I ran 5:50 per km on my 6km runs, Wednesday’s 10km was on par with Monday then Friday it all went wrong.

Some over indulgence on Thursday night, when we ate out at a Moroccan restaurant for our wedding anniversary, the Friday mid-day heat (32 deg C), not having had a good night’s rest, having had a very busy week and incorporating some music into my long run are all factors that contributed to a very hard and difficult run where I was able to maintain a reasonable 6:25 per km, but felt the worst for it afterwards.

My weekly total came to 52km’s and after some rest on Saturday I feel much better. My 10km run yesterday and 6km today was both strong and fast.

So here is my lesson learned from last week… “I am going to have good running days and bad running days, my aim is to have more good days then bad days, and to accept the bad days for what they are … really great teachers!”

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Genis

No comments:

Post a Comment